Thursday 21 March 2013

It’s about time...

Over the past four years as a film scholar, I have battled with theories and word counts, developed a caffeine dependency and perfected a somewhat practiced response to "Film Studies? So, you just watch films all day?" Ironically, I had very little time to watch film... apart from the set texts of course. Even so, over the years I have loved every second of my studies and have learnt a hell of a lot. So, as my scholarly pursuits are coming to an end (for now) and I figure out what i'm going to do next in life (suggestions welcome), I am very excited to be starting this blog. Let's face it, it's well overdue. So please, spread the word and stay tuned for reviews, articles and general musings on film and television (primarily horror - it's not just a coincidence I am starting this around the Evil Dead remake). More importantly, get involved - I want to hear what you think. For now and until next time, I shall leave you with some wise words from my time as a film student...


  • Schindler's List... not actually that great
  • Do no eat whilst watching Pink Flamingos
  • The majority of set films will be sexually explicit. Your housemates will never believe you are watching them for research purposes.
  • If you want to horrify a lecture theatre full of students, show them Braindead
  • Or anything by Lars von Trier
  • ... especially if they're hungover
  • When in doubt, make a joke about Michael Bay
  • And on a serious note, keep an open mind. You say potato, I say potat-o, you say zombies are a manifestation of xenophobia, I say they're representations of a consumerist society, etc etc.

2 comments:

  1. Do I need to watch all of those films to understand your blog?! ... Love this! Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh yes Helen! I think you would love all of them!...

      Delete